<bgsound src="./media/04 - Ride To Fort Hays.mp3" loop=false>
NORTH WEST LOGGING HISTORY
SKAGIT DELTA TULIP FARMS
A "RIVER DELTA" is a landform that forms from deposition of sediment carried by a river.

Throughout the 1860s and 1870s, new settlements and trading posts appeared. In the south fork of the Skagit River.
LaConner developed from a trading post across from the Swinomish Reservation under the watchful eye of
John Conner and his wife Louisa for whom the town was named.

Enormous logjams blocked the Skagit River and prevented river traffic from passing through.
In a three-year effort completed in 1879, workers removed the masses of logs around Mount Vernon.
The removal of the logjams opened up access to the interior upriver.
Mount Vernon began to grow with the arrival of sternwheelers.
LaConner was for a time the leading town, but growth brought changes in 1883.

LaConner was Skagit's first county seat in 1883, but only for a short time.
Mount Vernon would claim that title a year later.
historylink.org
The Mount Vernon LINK
Starts 4 other links below
about ENGLISH LOGGING
in this area!

The map below is a busy image with 13 links, reflecting many months of research.
This CAMERA SYMBOL
matches that on the map above;
 displaying where the photo was taken.

Your hosts are
Letha and Vern Bouwman

Click photo to see
our family site: