Prince Rupert Sitka, laska Seward, Alaska Chignik, Alaska
Friday September 19: Very stormy weather this morning delayed the start from Muskogee until 12:28.
 The flight landed in Dallas, Texas, on Love Field, at 4:13.
This field is now the home of several commercial aviation companies and is in good condition.

The Army's DWCs approach Dallas in September 1924 enroute to Seattle at the end of history's first globe-circling flight.
Of the four DWC aircraft that started westward from Seattle the previous April, only the Chicago (No.2) and
the New Orleans (No.4) remained: here they are joined by the DWC Prototype the Boston II (No.3) for
the final portion of the flight.
[Farris Rookstool III Collection.]

Underscoring Dallas's potential as a centrally located aviation hub for the southern United States, the Douglas World Cruiser landed
at Love field pm September 19, 1924, on one of the final legs of their round-the-world flight. In this photo of Hanger Row
 running parallel to Love Field Drive, one of the DWC aircraft can be seen between the third and fourth hangers up from the bottom.
Most of the other aircraft are part of an aerial welcoming fleet, many with
"Welcome to Dallas Round the World Flyers" emblazoned on their fuselages. (UTD)

Saturday September 20: At 9:35 this morning the flight took off with the intention of making a
 nonstop flight to El Paso, Texas,  but at Sweetwater, Texas, the "Boston II" landed with oil trouble.
The flight landed at 12:41. Repairs were completed very promptly.

The Airport is now "Avenger Field". It opened in August 1941 as a United States Army Air Forces training base
 of the AAF Flying Training Command. Avenger Field earned the distinction of being the largest all-female air base
 in American history. The Women Airforce Service Pilots, or WASP as it was known.
 In February 1943 Avenger Field became an all-female installation except for a few male instructors and other officers.

Saturday September 20: This afternoon at 1:48, the flight continued to El Paso, Texas, landing
 on the Air Service Field at Fort Bliss at 7:10.  At El Paso excellent arrangements had been made
 by General Robert L. Howze and Major Leo G. Heffernan, Commanding Officer of the Air Service activities.

El Pasoans got their chance to meet the intrepid pilots on the evening of September 20, 1924. Escorted by seven aircraft from Fort Bliss,
 the three
World Cruisers
appeared over the city, circled once and landed. Military and city officials,
and a crowd of more than 20,000 excited spectators, 
greeted the exhausted airmen.
At one point, the crowd surged forward to get a loser look, threatening to overwhelm the soldiers protecting the crews.

It was said that El Pasoans showed more enthusiasm and turned out in larger numbers than any other city of its size in the United States.
During their short stay, the aircrews were treated as conquering heroes. They were honored guests at a banquet at the Hotel Paso Del Norte.
 The mayor presented them with gifts while 5,000 El Pasoans cheered. After some much-needed rest,
they got a warm sendoff in the morning as they took off on the next leg. On September 28, they returned to Seattle after a 175-day aerial odyssey.
The mission was hailed as the greatest feat in aviation up to that time, and gave the Douglas Company its proud motto “First around the world.”


Sunday September 21: *We departed El Paso at 10:00 this morning and flew into a sand storm on the way to Tucson, Ariz.
Flying at between 2500 and 6500 feet, we passed over the Rincon Mountains accompanied by our usual fleet of escorting planes.
 We landed at 1:13 and after eating lunch, worked on the planes getting them ready for tomorrow's flight to San Diego.

Above, a classic photograph of one of the Douglas World Cruisers (DWC), the "New Orleans".

Although this airplane is not listed in the Davis-Monthan Airfield Register, the DWC fleet visited Tucson on September 21-22, 1924
 (the Register was first opened at the Airfield about a year later). The fleet was just a week away from completing its round-the-world
begun April 6th, which terminated in Seattle, WA. They had logged 27,553 miles in six months and six days, with an
actual flying time of 371 hours. 
They had touched down in 28 countries and had crossed the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

Monday September 22:At 7:18 a.m. this morning the flight got away for San Diego, following the regular
 airways, assisted by a strong tail wind,
and landed at 11:25 Pacific Coast time.

The flight was one and one-half hours ahead of time and comparatively few people were 
on the field to greet the flight.

However, that afternoon, the flight was given their largest reception in the Stadium at San Diego
where 26 escort planes landed alongside the three world cruisers.
About 35,000 people were present to catch a glimpse of the fliers that night.
The group returned to Rockwell Field to prepare for the flight to Santa Monica.

Photos from the books:  "The First Flight Around The World"     and   "Around the WORLD in 175 days"       Enhanced by: Vern Bouwman