Sand Point NAS - Seattle
THE BEGINNING   1920  -  1931


















Page 3
    Maroney was placed in command of the aeronautical section, and on May 21 loaded his aircraft aboard the cruiser USS New Orleans to be used as a spotting plane during target practice by the Naval Militia.
     A
llison said, “Washington was the third state of the 24 states having Naval Militia to get a real aeronautical section.”.
      While the state of Washington was busy creating its Naval Militia, considered to be the parent of the Naval Air Reserve, the regular Navy was no less busy.

    Rear Adm. Robert E. Coontz, commandant of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard, believed in the future of naval aviation.  He wanted long range eyes for his fleet, and he wanted an air umbrella spread over Puget Sound linking the existing naval bases and yards.

      His opportunity came when a Navy Yard commission, headed by Rear Adm. J.M. Helm, came seeking potential sites for an air station in the Pacific Northwest.

The sight of the airplanes lined up on the links almost immediately fired a public demand for an airfield near the city.

Coontz immediately assigned Capt. Luther E. Gregory to work with the commission.
    Gregory drew a circle on the charts, outlining what was thought to be reasonable flying distance from the Bremerton yard. He then cruised all the waters within that circle by motorboat, and by automobile visited virtually every large lake.

 



Trees grew right to the shoreline of Sand Point in 1923. despite its primitive appearance, aircraft were already using the station.