Prince Rupert Sitka, laska Seward, Alaska Chignik, Alaska
The New Orleans arrived on 2 August while the Chicago arrived on 3 August 1924.
The World Cruisers were welcomed with pride in Hornaford, Iceland
. Excellent arrangements had been made at Hornafjord,
 including a temporary radio station, set up by the Navy in the building used for the quarters while there. No plans were made
 for departure the next day, the flight waiting to determine the extent of damage to the "Boston".

The Sailors from the Richmond getting ready to bring the New Orleans up onto the beach
 for repairs at Reykjavik, Iceland.

August 9: Today the Prime Minister entertained at lunch for us & the ships captains -- Ogden [mechanic of "New Orleans"]
& I appearing in shirts & ties and feeling like burglars.
Skuli Skullison, a local newspaper man [Associated Press] appeared in our
midst today.  For humor he is a jewel -- assisted as he was by a drunken Swede, Dane, & German. The American press
 men declaring him the find of the season.
Great crowds gathered #4 ["New Orleans"] all day -- just looking & looking -- this no doubt
 being the greatest event in Iceland since its discovery. Four warships with about 2500 sailors & 6 airplanes has awed the town.

Hauling the New Orleans through the streets of Reykjavik by truck. C.V. GLINES

The New Orleans  pulls up anchor in Reykjavik, Iceland   SAN DIEGO AIR & SPACE MUSEUM

August 6, 7, 10, 11,12, 13, 14, 18, 20: Spending time in the area or on the planes.

USS Richmond in Reykjavik, Iceland    SAN DIEGO AIR & SPACE MUSEUM

The Italian  Dornier Wahl  Seaplane
August 17, The Italian Locatelli aviator arrived today in a Dornier Wahl seaplane. They made no advance arrangements for their flight
across the Atlantic but were relying supplies left over by the Americans. According to an agreement between officials in
Washington, D.C. and in Italy, the Italian plane was to remain one flight behind the American planes. However, it was realized that it
 would be a great help for Locatelli if he were allowed to accompany us. Authority for this was requested today from the Chief of Air Service [Gen. Patrick].

World flight supply ship "Hans Egedi" at Minonak (Angmassalik), Greenland  MUSEUM OF FLYING
August 8, Report: The advance officer of the 6th Division, Lieut. C.E. Crumrine, was present who confirmed the reports previously
 received that Lieut. LaClair D. Schulze was on board the Gertrud Rask which was taking supplies to Angmagsalik and which was
still blocked in the ice and unable to reach its destination. However, this did not discourage the flight due to the fact that a record
 maintained for the past twenty years gave the average date for Angmagsalik to become ice-free as August 15th. Action is being
taken in several ways to get the flight through without actually landing in Angmagsalik. The cruiser Raleigh departed today on
 a scouting trip to see if there were any other harbors, or if it were possible to find an ice harbor suitable for refueling the planes.

August 15, Report:
Radio messages were sent to Lieut. Schulze, who finally reached Angmasalik, asking him to make a scouting trip
to determine if there were not some other harbor near Angmasalik available for us. On August 14th, a reply was
 received reporting the existence of a safe mooring place and the Navy took up their patrol stations.
Later, another message from Lieut.
Schulze was received, informing us that conditions had changed and that it was still impossible to land at or near Angmasalik.

August 16, Still the Angmasalik harbor is full of young icebergs & in addition the boats en route report bad weather and 50 mph gales.
So here we sit waiting to see what happens.
Tentative plans were made today so that if the situation in Angmasalik does not clear up
soon we may hop direct to the southernmost point of Iceland and then to Frederiksdal -- a distance of 820 miles -- 750 of which is a
water jump & which we want to avoid if possible. Ten hours of water flying all at once is guaranteed to produce several gray hairs anytime.

The village of Angmagasalik on Greenland's east coast was suppost to be the fliers' nect stop from Iceland, but the weather closed in this area.
They had to fly on to Fredricksdal at the sothern tip of the large island.

August 21st, A World Cruiser lands near an iceberg in the harbor at Frederiksdal, Greenland.
The 830-mile flight from Reykjavik, Iceland, to Frederiksdal was the longest nonstop flight of the whole journey.

August 22, The weather was very foggy so in the morning we worked around doing routine work on the planes & then went to the
native village to look around. The natives here are very primitive, live in sod & stone huts, eat nothing but fish & birds & dress in
skins & beads. They are very clever with their native boats, "kayaks" & two entertained us by rolling over & over, etc.

As yet no word has been received from Locatelli -- boats from the Island Falk have been sent to the north & south & rumor
has it that a plane was heard passing shortly after our arrival. So perhaps we will have definite information.

August 23, For a short while in the morning it was clear here, but at the same time it was foggy at Ivigut so we waited for that to
clear & in the meantime made al preparations to leave. But then it became foggy here & grew worse as the day continued.
Icebergs of all kinds float up and down the fjord & a motor boat is on guard all the time to push them away. While sitting in the planes
 this morning Harding ["New Orleans" mechanic] & I saw a berg, only a hundred yards away, turn over. It rolled and wobbled about for over
 five minutes and was quite a sight. Alongside the Island Falk a huge berg parked & we decided to climb aboard it to take pictures, etc.
 -- but after seeing the other berg perform we changed our minds.

The officers of the Falk treated us more royally than ever & this evenings entertainment was mostly impersonations by "Bill Boyd" & "Radio Joe."
All day we expected to hear something from Locatelli but no news came at all -- our guess being that he is somewhere on, or near, the eastern coast.

The Chicago and the New Orleans moored in the iceberg infested harbor at Fredricksdal, Greenland. U.S. AIR FORCE MUSEUM

The last stop in Greenland before flying to North America was Ivigtut, on the island's west shore.
It was 335 miles to Icy Tickle on Labrador's shore. the Cruiser USS Milwaukee is seen below the incoming DWC.

August 25, It was a rainy, windy, and cold day and as usual we were wet & chilled but having been so many times noticed it but little -- but nevertheless,
assisted by a crew of sailors we spent the day  on the beach where the old motors were removed & the new ones set in. By tomorrow night they should
be all connected up & ready for a trial hop.
Capt. Penney [Captain of the cruiser Milwaukee] entertained us at dinner which was a fine one.
Movies were to have been the evenings entertainment but the rain prevented that  so we sat around playing the Victrola & later had waffles & coffee.
Good news greeted us first thing this morning -- it being that at midnight the Richmond had picked up Locatelli & his crew -- 90 miles east of Cape Farewell.
 His plane was sunk & perhaps we, better than anyone else, can appreciate how he feels regarding that & also how
he feels in having been picked up after drifting so long in a section of the world where boats so seldom travel.


Photos from the books:  "The First Flight Around The World"     and   "Around the WORLD in 175 days"       Enhanced by: Vern Bouwman