Prince Rupert Sitka, laska Seward, Alaska Chignik, Alaska Sunday September 14: At 8:00 we arose and went to the field where we spent the day supervising work being done on the planes --
the local mechanics certainly turning too and doing the necessary work in great shape.

All day long there was a big crowd on hand to gaze -- a shifting crowd for there was always a procession coming and one going.
We went to the hospital where for the benefit of medical research we were subjected to a very stiff physical examination
 -- which we all passed quite well -- considering.

The evening was our own which we enjoyed in various ways -- but one common enjoyment was that of a good nights sleep.


In most every city where the world fliers stopped, crowds converged around the aircraft, sometimes keeping the servicing crews
from servicing them. This crown is at the Maywood Airmail field, just outside Chicago, Illinois. 

The image above was taken in area [1] noted in image right.
The image below is a 2014 image.
The Airport is now Miller Meadow - North Park.
The park includes a Model Airplane Flying field.

In 1923, a new field was built on the west side of First Avenue, south of Roosevelt Road, on the grounds of Edward Hines Memorial Hospital. The new field received Chicago's air mail from Cleveland and Omaha, and Maywood was the national maintenance center for the entire air mail service,  and it was an integral part of a  network of routes for transcontinental airmail. http://www.airfields-freeman.com/IL/Airfields_IL_Chicago_C.htm  

FORT CROOK   -   OMAHA, Nebraska

Wednesday September 17: "We arose early this morning to prepare for the flight to Omaha; however, the air mail field was blanketed in fog. Later in the morning the fog cleared and we left at 11:00 for Ft. Crook, Neb. We landed at 3:48 and immediately prepared the planes for the next hop.

In the evening we attended a dinner and reception hosted by Mr. Gould Dietz. The city hosts a yearly "Queen of Omaha" pageant and the Queen and five Ladies in Waiting were our dinner companions."

The oldest surviving portion of Fort Crook is the Parade Grounds and surrounding red brick buildings that were constructed between 1894–96. These structures are still in active use today as squadron headquarters, living quarters for high-ranking generals (Generals Row), and Nebraska’s oldest operational jail. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offutt_Air_Force_Base#Fort_Crook


Thursday Morning - September 18: This morning the flight left Omaha for St. Joseph at 10:40 with the intention of making Muskogee today. An earlier stop was prevented because of unfavorable weather. St. Joseph was reached at 12:28. The flight personnel managed to attend the reception which was planned on the field for them, have lunch, refuel the planes and ready for their departure 55 minutes after landing.

Presented to Lt. Lowell Smith, commander of the Douglas World Cruiser flight by the Mid-America Airport, St. Joseph, Missouri. Colonel Lowell H. Smith was a pioneer in military aviation. He was born on October 8, 1892 and graduated from San Fernando College in 1912. Three years later, Smith joined the Aviation Service in the Mexican Army before returning to the United States in 1917 to enlist in the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps.  The round-the-world flight that made Smith famous was accomplished in 1924 for the U.S. Army Air Service. Five Douglas World Cruisers were specially-built for the project.  He received the Distinguished Service Medal for the historic flight. Smith remained in the Army until his death on November 5, 1945. Donated by Mrs. Lowell H. Smith.

Thursday afternoon - September 18: The flight got into the air at 1:25, flying to Muskogee through a number of rain storms landing at 5:18. The field here is a fairly good one, used for Reserve Officers training and commanded by Captain Charles B. Oldfield. Muskogee had a large reception. Among those present at the banquet were a large number of Air Service Reserve Officers.

Muskogee's Hatbox Field was a general aviation airfield established in January 1921 by Joseph B. Witt and Martin H. Wood. They built the airport on 160 acres as a commercial undertaking of the Muskogee Airplane Company. The site was located three miles west of downtown Muskogee. Hatbox replaced the Oklahoma Free State Fair grounds south of Muskogee as a flying field.

Notable pilots who visited Hatbox Field included the Red Comet Grange, four around-the-world flyers, in November 1924. Charles A. Lindbergh arrived on October 1, 1927, as part of his cross-country tour following his solo trans-Atlantic flight. Amelia Earhart made an impromptu visit in September 1928. Laura Ingalls set a world record for the number of loop-de-loops at the airfield's rededication on May 26, 1930.


Photos from the books:  "The First Flight Around The World"     and   "Around the WORLD in 175 days"       Enhanced by: Vern Bouwman