<>...

MARTIN PBM-3D MARINER Sea Plane

SEAPLANES
SERVED by
AVP's built in  Lake Washington Shipyards

 


The Martin PBM Mariner was a patrol bomber flying boat of World War II and the early Cold War period. It was designed to complement the The Martin PBM Mariner was a patrol bomber flying boat of World War II and the early Cold WarPBY Catalina in service. 1,366 were built, with the first example flying on February 18, 1939 and the type entering service in September 1940.
Click image left.

The image below is of Timbalier (AVP-54), (launched 18 April, 1943) tending two Martin PBM-3D Mariner seaplanes soon after World War II. The quadruple 40mm gun mount on the fantail was added in around 1948. Timbalier was sold to Panagiotis Kikkinos, Piraeus, Greece, placed into commercial service as the Greek cruise ship MV Rodos, 20 December 1960




Consolidated PBY Catalina
The Consolidated PBY Catalina was an American flying boat of the 1930s and 1940s produced by Consolidated Aircraft. It could be equipped with depth charges, bombs, torpedoes, and .50 Browning machineguns and was one of the most widely used multi-role aircraft of World War II.  "PB" stands for "Patrol Bomber" and "Y" is the code for "Consolidated Aircraft"........................

Curtiss SO3C Seamew

Curtiss SOC Seagull
The SOC Seagull was a United States single-engined scout observation biplane aircraft. The aircraft served on battleships and cruisers in a seaplane configuration, being launched by catapult and recovered from a sea landing. The wings folded back against the fuselage for storage aboard ship. When based ashore the single float was replaced by fixed wheeled landing gear.
The Curtiss SO3C Seamew was intended as a replacement for the SOC Seagull as the United States Navy's standard floatplane scout. Entering service in 1942, the type suffered a variety of problems, primarily with the Ranger XV-770 engine which was a dismal failure, and was withdrawn by 1944. Among its many flaws, part of the vertical tail was attached to the sliding aft canopy, compromising the aircraft's stability when the aft canopy was in the open position, which it often needed to be for spotting.





Grumman JF Duck

Curtiss SC Seahawk
The SC Seahawk was developed in 1942 to replace the Curtiss Seamew and the Vought Kingfisher, which were both 1937 designs. The Seahawk was required to be convertible from a float version to a landing gear configuration and vice versa. The first production aircraft were delivered in October 1944.
The Grumman JF "Duck" was a single-engine amphibious biplane. It first flew in May 1933 and was produced from 1933 until 1935, when it was replaced by the J2F.The Duck's main pontoon was part of the fuselage, making it a flying boat, though it appears more like a standard aircraft with an added float. It set an amphibian speed record in December 1934, at 191 mph (307 km/h)