Around Lake Washington
The Seattle Coal & Transportation Company is one of the early local business enterprises that succeeded in putting Seattle and the eastside on the map. In the fall of 1863, surveyor Edwin Richardson discovered coal beside a stream later named Coal Creek.
Prospectors discovered the rich coal seam south of the Creek at a place called Newcastle, named after the famous English mining town. To bring the coal form Newcastle to Seattle, the company constructed a cumbersome system of tramways and barges to haul trains of iron-wheeled wooden cars.
cart was capable of carrying two tons of coal from the mines to bunkers
on the Seattle waterfront. In
January 1875, the sternwheeler Chehalis was rounding the northwest
Mercer Island when a gale blowing from the south tipped the barge it
and sent 18 cars plunging into the lake. They remain where they sank,
preserved in 200 feet of water, many of them upright and still
cargoes of coal.
A hiking trailhead to this mine shaft is located right off Coal Creek Parkway between
405 and Newcastle. Its a small dirt parking lot which fits about 6-7 cars.
A sign may mark it is as closed
mine car completed in August 2008 and was shipped to
Renton. Northwest Railroad Museum
On March 25, 1872, workers complete a
narrow gauge railroad in Seattle that runs from
south Lake Union to the foot of Pike Street. The railroad becomes the