|Carillion Point HISTORY
Site of the former "LAKE
by Vern Bouwman July 19, 2009
Insert above points to location of
Lake Washington was a broad highway of water, crossed by
Indian canoe or pioneer rowboat. Prior to the 1917 opening of the Lake
Washington ship canal to Puget Sound, the lake was nine feet higher
than it is today, and its clear deep waters teemed with salmon, trout,
bass, and catfish.
the 1870's, families ventured across the lake from Seattle to build
homes in Pleasant Bay. Frank Curtiss settled on the lake shore at this
site and built the community's second frame house and boat landing. The
Curtiss family built the dock not only for their personal use, but also
for travelers passing across the lake. To meet the demand not only of
passenger traffic but also of the growing lumber industry, a number of
local settlers pioneered a long tradition of boat building in this area
during the late 1800's. The Curtiss brothers launched their last boat,
the Peerless, in 1901. These little boats were as versatile as the
pioneers who built them, towing log booms, hauling farm produce, or
George Bartch and Captain Harry Tompkins purchased this site from the
Curtiss family to serve as the Anderson Shipyard. Bartch and Tompkins
built a number of tugs and ferries at this shipyard.
1923 - Anderson Shipyard was purchased by Charles Burckardt. Burckardt
renamed the site the Lake Washington Shipyards and used it as a
freshwater winter tie-up for his salmon fleet. During the 1920's, the
yard made the transition from wooden boat building to steel
shipbuilding and constructed a number of steel auto ferries.
1936 - Through a small government contract
Lake Washington Shipyards built the Robert Grey for the Army Corps of
Engineers. A year later, the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey awarded Lake Washington Shipyards the contract for
the Explorer, an oceanographic survey ship. Success of Lake Washington
Shipyards brought growth and prosperity to the Eastside.
- About three hundred men had worked in the shipyard; in 1943
nearly nine thousand men and women worked there. The shipyard tripled
in size between 1939 and 1942. Lake Washington Shipyards built 29 ships
for the Navy and repaired nearly 500 vessels over the course of the war.
- Charles Burckardt put
the shipyard up for sale. It was purchased by Alaska Terminal and
Stevedoring, a subsidiary of the Skinner Corporation, and was used as a
fresh water winter tie-up for the passenger liners and freighters of
the Alaska Steamship Company.
SOUND DIVERS - Comment:
Bay area of Lake Washington is a literal junk yard from the old Lake
Ship Yards. This area is the site of several burned wrecks and
vessels. It was originally thought that is area was reasonably
described but recent forays into the area have consistently turned up
more wrecks. Our team has scanned the entire area
and has identified more than 30
wrecks for eventual exploration. This last week Scott Boyd of Emerald Sea
Photography worked in the area and obtained images of two
wrecks tucked into
some of the natural geography that were previously unidentified.
solid work by Scott demonstrates the
exceptional capabilities of his side scan unit for shallow area survey.