<bgsound src="./media/04 - Ride To Fort Hays.mp3" loop=false>
NORTH WEST LOGGING HISTORY
STANWOOD
The images below, with the words copied from the Skagit River Journal  describes what information is possible.
With these Three Railroad companies; the "Puget Sound and Baker River Railway" [PS & BRR], could have
its sawdust burned  to produce power for the local area
or ship the sawdust and its lumber to other ports.

The wood materials could come from the areas North, South or East of Arlington.

The PS & BRR train would come in, turn north onto the east set of BN [GN] tracks,
back south through both switches, going on to the west set of BN [GN] tracks,
then proceed back north and switch to the H & H tracks to the waterfront.

Stanwood was first known as Centerville.  It was a small trading post on the Stillaguamish River. 
A wharf was built along with businesses that lined the waterfront to supply the needs of the citizens of the area. 
D. O. Pearson came to Centerville in 1879 and constructed a mercantile store on the waterfront. 
He became Centerville's seventh postmaster and changed the name of the town, at the request of the U. S. Government,
to STANWOOD in honor of his wife's maiden name, Clara Stanwood Pearson.
historylink.org
The Seattle and Montana Railway (controlled by the Great Northern Railway), or BN, put down tracks on the east edge of Stanwood, with a depot.
 
A short "dinky" railway, the H&H, incorporated locally, provided service to and from the depot and for the benefit of both passengers and the Stanwood Lumber Company, to ship lumber by rail, using a steam engine and trolley. Stanwood was incorporated in 1922.


A gasoline motor engine was made in Everett specifically for the H & H and
a regular street car for passengers
purchased from the
Seattle Street Railway Company.

The street car was labeled
the "STANWOOD FLYER".
It ran back and forth three times a day.
 
A McClure Newspaper labeled the H & H
the "
SHORTEST RAILROAD IN THE WORLD".
Stanwood Area ECHOES

It was 1890 when the Seattle & Montana R.R. ran it tracks past Stanwood.

At that time, the towns limits was
a whole mile west of the tracks.

Soon The HALL & HALL RAILROAD was built lead by A.S. Howard, owner of the Stanwood Lumber Co. John W. Hall operated a streetcar to deliver people, mail and products between Stanwood and the depot.

In 1923, The Hamilton Lumber had a railroad track
along the wharf to load timber & sawdust
onto steamers or barges.

This Giant burner used to generate power
for the electric company in early years.

It was located along the Stillaguamish River
waterfront and Irving Slough.

Photographer: John T. Wagness.
[see the book "Stanwood Story",
v. 2, p. 4, 32,38 for the rest of the story]


GIANT
BURNER

GIANT
BURNER

GIANT
BURNER

The OLD DEPOT