The route of the Whatcom Trail began in downtown Bellingham, and ran east through Cornwall Park, cutting cross-country roughly following today's Hannegan Road to a ferry crossing of the Nooksack River in Everson.
After crossing the river, DETAILED ON MAP ABOVE, the trail went north to Sumas where it crossed the border into Canada.
By the summer of 1866, the overland telegraph line had been extended 800 miles into northern British Columbia,
and some construction had occurred in Russia.
Current traveled roads that follow the Whatcom Trail have been labeled "Telegraph Road".
Over this "Original Indian Trail", thousands of prospectors filed NORTH into the Fraser River gold fields, 1858-59."