Redmond's logging industry received a tremendous boost in 1889 when the Seattle Lake Shore & Eastern Railway built a station in the center of town. With regular passenger service, Redmond's hotels and eateries flourished. Twice each day, the train passed through Redmond, bringing school children into town in the morning, delivering mail to the post office, picking up milk in large metal cans, and taking businessmen and shoppers into Seattle. The depot was located just east of Leary Way, and north of the Hotel Redmond. Its location played a pivotal part in naming the town of Redmond.