English's first camp began two miles east of Conway as Camp 1 or Headquarters in 1902. There is still a community at HQ. That was to remain the center of operations for everything that went on in the other 11 camps. It had a blacksmith shop, office buildings, cookhouse and bunkhouses for 100 men, a large water tank for the locomotives and a modern machine shop to take care of the locomotives and the company's other machinery. A railroad spur was built south to the Tom Moore Slough near MILLTOWN.
See Section Map No.1