There is no hurry.  You have done more than I could have in the rest of my life.   Thanks for the wonderful site.                                                                                                                 Bud Rothgeb  12-21-2011

Vern; I have the same berthing chart you have and the details are correct. You have my permission to use any material from the "Miss" website you need. I boarded the Taluga two days after my Dad's funeral in 2005 when the ship was at Suisan Bay with the fleet reserve. We boarded with some of the survivors of the AO-59.. I have been in regular communication with Donald Smith from Fort Dodge, Iowa who was aboard the Taluga when the AO-59 was sunk. Thank you for preserving these memories.                                Mike Mair  12-27-2011

Regarding my visit aboard Taluga in 2005 at Suisun Bay with, among others, my brother, Bob, and our father, Ray Fulleman, who was a Water Tender aboard the AO-59:  I recall my dad, who was normally on the quiet side, was perhaps quieter than usual at times.  I think he was flashing back and forth between his time on the AO-59 and our time there on the AO-62.  There had been a number of changes between the two ships, but in some areas, it was just the same.  It was a gift that I’ll never forget, being able to walk with him aboard a sister ship to the one he served aboard and which had been sunk in 1944.  AO-62 was in obvious disrepair, but it was the closest thing to time travel that I can think of.  We went all over the ship and he was pointing out a lot of places he hung out at or worked at while on the AO-59.  As we left the Taluga, we stopped and I had him point out on the Taluga where he had to go over the side when abandoning the Mississinewa.  Although he was very sore later, having had to climb quite a bit to get to the Taluga and go through the ship at the age of 82, he mentioned many times at how much he appreciated the opportunity to do so.                                     Ron Fulleman  12-27-2011.

Tokyo Harbor Navigation: On September 11, 1945, Taluga anchored 151°t. from FORT No.3. The Fort was a navigation problem where it was sunk by an earthquake in 1923. Following are words by a ship commander who has actually encountered the obstruction. It has since been removed in the year 2000.

I have vivid memories of the wreckage of Fort #3.  It was just on the stbd bow when you made the turn to port into Yokosuka at Buoy #5. That turn wasn't an issue with a large, fairly powerful ship like HASSAYAMPA, but with my little NODAWAY it was a challenge.  We were on the upper end of coaster size traffic and only good for 10 knots, top end.  We had to cut across the traffic separation scheme and the hard over turn slowed the ship way down.  It would be an interesting few minutes as we crept across the highway. Capt. Patrick Moloney  2-28-2013

Excerpt from my 2nd mate section of Sealift Command: Even in the weak fall light navigation was easy.  The fixes were falling in with regularity and even on a three minute schedule there was time to watch the Captain conning the ship up the channel.  As the ship wound its way up into the bay past the old forts, he edged the ship close to the left side of the northbound lane.  After passing the ruins of Fort #3 well to starboard he adjusted speed to arrive at Buoy #5 when there was a break in the southbound traffic.  Taking the buoy close aboard to port he ordered full speed, hard left rudder and two short blasts on the whistle, then cut across the outbound lane.  This can be exciting on a high powered vessel, but for a 10 knot ship, slowed by a hard left turn, it seems to take hours to crawl across the lane.  Every bow of the dozen or so ships  in easy visibility seems to boresight the ship.  When they start to show a nice right bearing drift, there is a collective sigh of relief on the bridge.


"Ship Commissioning"; 25 August, 1944
HISTORIAN for USS Taluga AO-62 boarded ship, September 19, 1944.
Started Voyage to the Pacific from Norfolk, October 5, 1944
Entered Pacific via Panama Canal, October 13, 1944
Compass headings explained, October 15, 1944
Pearl Harbor - 3 Days, October 26,27,28, 1944
Anchored in Eniwetok
November 4, 5,6,7, 1944
Moored for duration in ULITHI, November 11, 1944
USS Mississnewa AO-59 Sunk, right by Taluga, November 20, 1944
Refueling off LUZON, January 1, 1945
Refueling off IWO JIMA,  February 19, 1945
Refueling off OKINAWA,  March 21, 1945
Attacked by Zeke Report w/photo links  April 16, 1945
Comments on Ships Presence in North Pacific July 11, 1945
Two comments on ship fuel and power are at August 1, 1945
See USS Rescue AH-18 being refueled on August 12, 1945
See Fleet Taluga was in on August 17, 1945.
See photo from BB-57  in Tokyo Baywhich Taluga, had refueled some time earlier August 27, 1945.
See report where Taluga refueled USS South Dakota BB-57 on November 30, 1944.
See report "SURRENDER SIGNING" - With Video - September 2, 1945
See an Island - "AogaShima" WWII rendezvous point, pointed out by Taluga. September 8, 1945
Anchored in Tokyo Bay on September 10, 1945.
Exited Tokyo Bay to Refuel USS Shangri La CV-38 and remove her Aviation Gas. September 12, 1945.
Liberty in Tokyo September 10, 1945

Log date February 28, 1946
The Roster  displays 30 Officers, 20 Chiefs, and 353 Enlisted = 403 that have served aboard Taluga.
On board when in Pearl Harbor in June 1946 were 15 Officers. + 12 Chiefs.+ 193 Enlisted. = 220.

The 4th Commanding officer, CMD. Jack F. Bowling  took command on 21 February, 1946.
He later became an Admiral and was always an artist. He was in command when the ship returned to Pearl Harbor in June 1946.

The last Underway Replenishment recorded as of date above, was with USS Benner DD-807 on Sept. 19, 1945. All Replenishments after that were while anchored in Tokyo Bay.
The last service as Oil Station in Japan was on January 30, 1946, refueling USS Crownblock YO-47 with 3,632 barrels of fuel oil and 1,346 barrels of diesel oil.

There were 276 [54%] replenishments at anchor and 239 [46%] replenishments while underway for a total of 515 replenishments.

The last replenishment at anchor in Ulithi, #75, was on June 24, 1945 with USS LCT-379
That means that 73% of the at anchor replenishments were after the war ended.