|In 1919 - Rear
Robert E. Coontz, commandant of the Bremerton Naval Shipyard, believed
in the future of naval aviation. He wanted long range eyes for his
fleet, and he wanted an air umbrella spread over Puget Sound linking
the existing naval bases and yards.
His opportunity came when a Navy Yard commission, headed by Rear Adm. J.M. Helm, came seeking potential sites for an air station in the Pacific Northwest. Coontz immediately assigned Capt. Luther E. Gregory to work with the commission.
drew a circle on the charts,
was thought to be reasonable flying distance from the Bremerton yard.
He then cruised all the waters within that circle by motorboat, and by
automobile visited virtually every large lake.
According to the veterans in 1919, Sand Point's advantages were many:
|A museum could tell how the lake as well
as Sand Point was used by the navy to "SUPPORT" its airplanes in the
pacific and build ships at Houghton
as seaplane and torpedo boat tenders. It could also tell about the
Planes to make the "1st Flight Around The World", took off and landed
at Sand Point.
The base was a support station and the ground floor of building 18 could display work stations such as "Cleaning engine parts", "Repairing machine guns", or "Maintaining parachutes" (using the old fire hose tower). A large Map of the Base could be displayed as well a a Map of Lake Washington.
The second floor could display models of the different types ships built at Houghton or even the ships built in Ballard, one being the ship that John Wayne bought. And finally - other ships of navy SUPPORT could have MODELS displayed such as store ships, ammunition ships, and fuel ships. There are no museums for ships of these types - they in themselves would be a drawing exhibit
On top of the building the is room for at least 2 airplanes for an outdoor display.
The first floor can easily house a Restaurant and Health Recreation Outlet.
If the tenant in the center would only require the 1720 sq. ft. of the 1st floor;
The east 2100 sq. ft. could facilitate a bicycle outlet by hanging 150 bikes in the high bay.