The previous Building 193 - Transportation (Seaplane Hangar)
This was Built in 1943 during WWII. It and was torn down in 2006 for a Sports Meadow
Photos provided by Dr. Peter Skirbunt, Historian Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA), Headquarters in Fort Lee Va.
View: 1997 VISION MAGAZINE Article; Peter wrote.
Customer Produce section 1995 - the last year the Commissary was open.
Customer Grocery Aisle, 1995
Customer Grocery Aisle, 1968
Front end of Queuing Line, 1995
Customer Grocery Aisles, 1980
Notice the arrows on the floor - that indicates "ONE WAY TRAFFIC" Retirees complain about the lack of arrows.
Arrows were liked but of course the aisles are wider now.
Checkout Register, 1980
1980 Cashier, patch on sleeve indicates 2nd class sailor.
Meat Cutting Room - 1968
The Grand Opening Car Lot photo - June 27, 1968 - The hanger doors could still open.
photo contributed by William Joanis
Aerial view - Perhaps 2005 with all the trees in front.
1990 Aerial photo - South Area of Sand Point Naval Air Station
The first documented commissary, Bldg 193, built as a seaplane hangar in 1943, and opened as a commissary in 1968 (According to Military Market magazine). There apparently was no store prior to 1968, as a commissary had existed at Fort Lawton at least since 1934... When that was about to close (it closed in 1968), the hangar at Sand Point was converted to a commissary and an exchange.
The commissary occupied the building first, with a grand opening on June 27, 1968. According to Military Market magazine, September 1967, p. 25, "The new commissary store [at Sand Point] will replace the commissary operating at Fort Lawton, Wash." So .... No known prior store at NS/NSA Seattle/Sand Point.
Store status as of 1968: Bldg. 193, which was built as a seaplane hangar in 1941. This hangar was immense, and was built using huge wooden beams in the hangar roof. Starting in 1968, The commissary and exchange were placed next door to each other in the same structure - there was plenty of room. The commissary had 10 registers, 11 aisles, 12,000 sf sales area, 5,000 sf second-floor admin space, 15,000 sf of cold and bulk storage. It stocked 2,000 line items.
Store as of 1991 - ['at cost' commissaries at which all ranks could shop have been around since 1867; Navy commissaries began in 1910. But 1991 was when DeCA was formed]: Still in Bldg. 193. By 1995 it had 12,996 sf sales area, an untold (probably still 15,000 sf) space for storage/warehouse, 12 checkouts, and, as was standard operational procedure in the Puget Sound area, a very fine fish market. But the staff had been reduced from 85 people in 1968 to 44 in 1995 - trying to "do more with less," as they say.
1968 the store was somewhat unique among commissaries
in the United States that it actually welcomed children under age
10... In most
places at that time, kids that young were not allowed in the store,
rode in the child seat of a shopping cart.
A group of war veterans (WWII, apparently) who had congregated at the Sand Point store on specific days - a group that numbered 30 in 1985 - dropped to 12 by 1995. When the store moved, only one of the vets went to shop there. Today, I don't know if any of them is still alive.
Store closed 3 June 1995. The building had been showing its age; particularly, it was settling back into the "Mud Lake" on which it had been built, making it difficult to close or open doors. The floor was starting to crack, and the exchange was noticeably sinking.
commissary was replaced by a new store at NS
Everett's Smokey Point Support Center on 27 June 1995; 27 Years after
Sand Point Commissary opened.
commissary in Building 193 had been run by run by
NRS/NRSO, NAVRESSO, & DeCA.
Dr. Peter Skirbunt, Historian Defense Commissary Agency (DeCA)