The first route over the pass was a series of switchbacks, with grades of up to 4 % on the West side and3.5%
on East side, was completed on January 6, 1893.
To traverse a switchback thetrain has to travel to the end of the dead end spur,
then the switch is thrown and engine reversesdirection to go into next spur.
This is repeated at each spur.
The spurs were only 1000 feet long so themaximum train length was 2 engines and 23 cars.
With a heavy load and snow that could be reducedto as little as 5 cars. 1893-1925.