August 13, 1895
Twain's party arrive from Tacoma at an antiquated station on Railroad Avenue, today's Alaskan Way,
before they were to go to the Seattle Theater.

This article left:
 was Clipped by
knute berger - 17 Nov. 2018

Clipped from
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer
Seattle, Washington
18 Aug 1895, Sun  - Page 9

Reported on web by

With this information
I can truthfully say
Sam Clemens left Seattle
Early on morning of
August 14th, 1895.

The Rainier Club mansion has several overnight rooms for the enjoyment of members,  guests and reciprocal club partners.
In the heart of downtown Seattle proudly stands an iconic treasure
and one of the city's best kept secrets.
A place of refuge and elegance, their mansion provides you with the
 opportunity to escape the ordinary and
relax in your private downtown haven.

The Rainier Club was first proposed at a February 23, 1888
meeting of six Seattle civic leaders;
 it was formally incorporated July 25, 1888. The attendees of the original meeting were J. R. McDonald,
 president of the Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern Railway; John Leary, real estate developer and former Seattle mayor;
 Norman Kelly; R. C. Washburn, editor of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer; Bailey Gatzert, former mayor associated with Schwabacher's (Seattle's and the state's most
prominent Jewish-owned business of the era); A. B. Stewart; and James McNaught.
 Other founding members were lawyer Eugene Carr,
Judge Thomas Burke, and William Allison Peters.

It is the same station Twain's party arrived at
 after Crossing The Cascades.
See the city map and Horse Carraige they
 probably used again on the S.S. Flyer page.

On Arriving from Tocoma, Twain and his party
transfered their large amount of luggage to Railroad dock wagons where that luggage
was stored in a save place.
It would be placed aboard the
Seattle, Lake Shore and Eastern Railway
train the next day.

The party then took a carriage up the hills
with overnight baggage to stay at

Mark Twain at the Rainier Club
       After the reading given by Mark Twain at the Seattle theater on Tuesday night, he was given an informal reception at the Rainier Club.  He was escorted to the club by Mr. Edward O. Graves, and very soon found himself the animated center of a group of gentlemen, among, be-sides Mr. Graves, were Judge C. H. Hanford, Mr. J. B. Pond and Lieutenant commander A. V. Wadhams.  Mr. Clem-ens is celebrated for his strength in  in- formal conversation.  Relaxing, after the severe strain of the evening's lecture, and led on by suggestive remarks and questions from Mr. Graves and Judge Hanford, the great humorist gave a bril-liant display of his conversational ability. The  man who said there are but two syllables of difference between anac-dotage and dotage had never heard Mark Twain tell story.  Reminiscences of the old Nevada mining days, from which the material for his "Roughing It" was large- ly drawn:  autobiographical confessions about  methods  of  writing  and lectur-ing; interesting  narratives  of  his  con-tact with his fellow authors and with noted men; spicy comment on foreign travel; all these, interspersed with droil witticisms and incisive repartee, kept the circle of listeners about him till long after midnight.

On August 13, 1895, Mark Twain (1835-1910) gives a 90-minute solo performance to an audience of 1,200 at the Seattle Theater, located in downtown Seattle at the corner of 3rd Avenue and Cherry Street. The lecture is part of a 12 month worldwide speaking tour that Twain began that July.
"A CONTINUOUS LAUGH" was the headline of a Seattle Post-Intelligencer article that went on, "To tell the story of such a lecture is like trying to narrate a laugh. Those who heard it enjoyed it, and those who did not cannot conceive of it."

The American writer Mark Twain, whose given name was Samuel Clemens, wrote the classic American novel The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, among others.
In Seattle, Twain expounded on stories from his books Huckleberry Finn, Life on the Mississippi, and Roughing It. His Seattle stop was part of a 12-month worldwide speaking tour that started on July 14, 1895. He went on tour to earn money to pay off debts incurred by his publishing company, which failed in part because of the Panic of 1893.
He said, "I cannot hope to build up another fortune now ... . I am getting too old for that. I shall be more than satisfied if within the next five years I can pay off my creditors." His subsequent performances were in New Whatcom, Washington (later renamed Bellingham) and Vancouver, British Columbia, his last stop in North America. He then headed to Australia. Mark Twain's tour was so successful that he was able to pay off his debts by 1898.
Below is my Speach!
Twain Again Proves His Greatness as a Humorist. 
FLOWING STREAM OF DROLLERY                                                The Seattle Post-Intelligencer   1895: August 14

There is but one Mark Twain. He is not classic, and he is just as far from being conventional; but people like him and
listen to him all the more because he is himself. Last night at the Seattle theater a crowded audience heard him for
an hour and a half with unwearying enjoyment as he gave one of those strange medleys of humor and philosophy
 which have so much the sound of a great literary improvisation. To tell the story of such a lecture is like trying to
 narrate a laugh. Those who heard it enjoyed it,  and those who did not cannot conceive of it.

The string on which the great humorist strung the many anecdotes and jests that made up the body of the evening's
entertainment was a pretended moral lecture, which he said he had in mind to work out at his leisure.
Thus he would tell some droll story and draw therefrom some far-fetched moral, which found its chief pith and
 merit in being far-fetched. The following will serve as a poor sample of a dozen of its kind:
"When I was a boy my father lived in a little Missouri village on the banks of the Mississippi river. The place was so small that it was necessary for one man to hold several such offices as coroner, mayor, postmaster, in order to maintain the dignity of each. My father was the incumbent. He had a small office built wherein his numerous functions were discharged. It was not often that he got to act as coroner, but now and then the community furnished a corpse. In the office was a sofa, which was to me a very useful article of furniture. We boys were told not to go fishing. For that reason we went. On returning from one of these excursions, I did not care to go at once into the home circle. I preferred letting the home atmosphere cool down till next morning.  Accordingly I would creep into that office and use that sofa as a bed.

"One day there had been a fight in the village while I was out fishing. One man had killed another with a bowie knife.
The corpse had been stripped to the waist and laid out on the floor of the little office ready for the inquest next morning. Late at night I came in, ignorant of what had occurred. I crept to the sofa was just sinking into the deep,
sweet sleep which is the reward of honest toil when a strange feeling came over me as I thought I saw some uncanny object on the floor. I first resolve to feel it, but concluded I would wait. Just beyond it were some squares of moonlight on the floor and I decided to wait till the moonlight crept along to where the thing lay. Only those who have waited for the moon at midnight know how slow it is. At last there lay a pallid human hand in the ghostly light. I tried to turn over and count a thousand till the moon should reveal what I knew now was there, but I got no further than seventy-five. After what seemed an interminable time, the white,  muscular arm, then the rigid, set face, then the body with the knife wound on the left side came into view. I went away from there. I do not mean to imply that I left hurriedly. I simply went. I went through the window. I took the sash along with me. I did not have any special use for the sash, but under the circumstances it was easier to take it than it was to leave it.

"Now, in planning my great lecture on morals, I mean to introduce this story to illustrate the principle that early in life a
young man should certainly gauge his limitations. He should know just exactly how brave he is, how far he can rely on his own courage before he is compelled to begin to use his discretion."

In similar vein the lecturer gave the story of the bucking horse from his "Roughing It," which he said he proposed to use in his great lecture "to show that we should be careful how we make the acquaintance of strangers." Then he shot off at a merry tangent to say that Mount Rainier had been pursuing this policy toward him during his first visit. To illustrate the moral that conclusions must not be drawn hastily, the gave the story of the preacher's long baptismal harangue over what he supposed to be a boy baby, till the name of Mary Ann was announced. In much the same tone followed the story of the grandfather and the ram, and of Jim and Huckleberry Finn when these two worthies were running away, and of "My first theft."

Leaving this hypothetical lecture on morals, Mr. Clemens was proceeding to give the substance of his famous essay on the German language,  when a rough voice from the gallery cried out: "Haf you been to Heidelberg?" "Yes," retorted the lecturer, with ready wit; "I studied German there and I learned many other things there also, among them how to drink beer." The questioner subsided.

As a conclusion, Mr. Clemens gave his famous ghost story. It was the strongest piece given by him, or rather, he gave it
 most strongly, and when the unexpected denouement was reached there was many a sudden jump among those who had been betrayed into breathless expectancy through the weird magic of the well-told dialect story.

As a mark of honor Mr. Clemens was called before the curtain, and in response he gave "The Stammerer" in mirth-provoking style.

Among those who occupied boxes were the members of the Torbert Concert company, who appear at the Seattle theater on Saturday night.  Major Pond speaks in the highest terms of this company, Miss Torbert being, in fact, a protoge of his, his first appearance with her dating from her membership in Beecher's church.
After The Theater talk, Sam returned to the Rainier Club where he was invited in the Club Room.
He had a roaring time as mentioned at the top of this page.
He did get to bed for a couple hours but the train north to Whatcom would not wait so his
groupe traveled down to the Depot, made sure their belongings where on the
"GNRR", it left Seattle early in the morning of August 14 and headed NORTH.