MARK TWAIN's
CASCADES - DOWN TRAIL  - WEST.
August 9, 1895
A MAP SHOWING VIEWERS WHERE THE SWITCHBACKS WERE.
CITY GIRL hiked through Stevens Pass in October of 2018
Many of the Mile Posts are from
those that appear on the
TIME SCHEDULES.

The SWITCH BACK MAP is recreated
from the map found on page 15
of the "IRON GOAT TRAIL",

After 2 hours of wobbling around, Samuel
gained interest in what was going on.

At the CAMP near the river at Stevens Pass,
they got off the train to talk with workers.

The engineer liked talking with Samuel
and invited Twain and Pond to
 ride the steam engine "No. 517".

Clemens
aboard
The
Great
Northern
Engine
No. 517
At
Wellington.
August 9, 1895 06:40 a.m.
Clara Clemens
   Mrs. Pond
     MARK
       Major Pond
Looking down on the Switchbacks
 they had just rode on.
A SWITCHBACKING TRAIN
The train crossed into
SNOHOMISH COUNTY
at Stevens Pass.  It soon followed the
SKYKOMISH RIVER
all the way to Monroe.

August 9, 1895 06:40 a.m.
Major Pond aboard
The Great Northern
Engine 517.
Looking at the large DRIVE WHEEL
under 517's cab, It is clear that
TWAIN'S train was pulled by a
2-6-0 type Steam Engine.

A locomotive with a wheel arrangement of two lead axles, two drive axles, and one trailing axle was a high-speed machine.

A trailing axle was able to support a
 huge firebox, hence 2-6-0's
were called free steamers and
were able to maintain steam pressure
regardless of throttle setting.
STEAM LOCOMOTIVES
SKYKOMISH Washington
The Skykomish depot was built
in 1894, shortly after the Great
Northern Railway began running
trains through  Skykomish.
A boxcar was used as the depot.
The original location was on
 the south side of the tracks
at 5th Street.

Samuel must have asleep by the time they reached Skykomish!
INDEX, Washington
Samuel could have come awake here with the noisy turns of the train.
Early pioneers came by horse on rough trails
until the Great Northern Railway was
 completed  in January of 1893. It was  never
possible for Index settlers to trave the river
because it was too swift and hazardous
 for navigation by steamboat.

In September of 1893  the Gold from
Monte Cristo mine, 11 miles North,
quit coming through Index  because
they started to ship gold
by their own railroad to Evertt.

The depot was literally at
 the center of the community.

MONROE, Washington
The Post Office would have been considered the
Depot when TWAIN's passed through.

The U. S. Post Office recognized MONROE after
the owner, John Vanasidlen had moved his
buildings to the South side of the tracks in 1892.

Earlier The Great Northern R. R. recognized it
as a station. Monroe was incorporated in 1901.

Monroe came into being when Army Scouts
establish outposts and began to settle.
The area, at the confluence of the Skykomish and Snoqualmie Rivers, originally belonged to the
indigenous Skykomish Tribe.
twainsgeography
River boat days
 were surly thought
 of when Samuel
 saw this.

The RAILROAD DEPOT was a Barge on the River.
The GOLD SMELTER was built in 1894 Samuel road by it, twice.
GOLD from the
 MONTE CRISTO MINE
Started arriving
in 1893,

TWAIN'S Party
Departed the
GREAT NORTHERN TRAIN,
Prepared to Sail
on a Puget Sound
STEAM BOAT!