SPOKANE, Washington
August 7, 1895
Two ambulances were sent to the hotel for our party and Adjutant-General Ruggles,
who is here on a tour of inspection. "Mark" rose early and said he would walk to the fort slowly;
he thought it would do him good.

General Ruggles and the ladies went in one ambulance (the old four-mule army officers' ambulance)
and the other waited some little time before starting, that I might complete arrangements
for all the party to go direct from the fort to the depot.

 I was the only passenger riding with the driver, and enjoying the memory of like experiences on
the plains when in the army. We were about half way to the fort when I discovered a man walking
 hurriedly toward us quite a distance to the left.

I was sure it was "Mark," and asked the driver to slow up. In a minute I saw him signal us, and
 I asked the driver to turn and drive toward him.

We were on a level plain, and through that clear mountain atmosphere one can see a great distance.

We were not long in reaching our man, much to his relief. He had walked out alone and
taken the wrong road, and after walking five or six miles on it, discovered his mistake,
and was countermarching when he saw our ambulance and ran across lots to meet us.

He was tired -- too tired to express disgust -- and sat quietly inside the ambulance until
 we drove up to headquarters, where were a number of officers and ladies, besides our party.
As "Mark" stepped out, a colored sergeant laid hands on him, saying:

"Are you 'Mark Twain'?"

"I am," he replied.

"I have orders to arrest and take you to the guardhouse."

"All right."

And the sergeant walked him across the parade ground to the guardhouse, he not uttering a word of protest.

Immediately Lieutenant-Colonel Burt and the ambulance hurried over to relieve the prisoner.

Colonel Burt very pleasantly asked "Mark's" pardon for the practical joke and invited him to ride back to headquarters. "Mark" said:
Mark Twain's PARTY:
Samuel L. Clemens, Mrs. Clara Clemens, Miss Olivia Clemens, Major J.B. Pond, and Mrs. Pond;
 were taken by carriage from the Great Northern Depot
They arrived at Hotel Spokane at 1:00 a.m. on August 7, 1895.
They had arrived at 11:30 on the train from Montana.

For years, Spokane House was a bright refuge for the few white men.
Dances and parties were held in the storage rooms for the entertainment of the men and their neighbors, helping them all to endure the long cold winters. The gates of the fort were never closed, as the relationships that were established were truly peaceful and friendly.Between the years of 1813 and 1825, Spokane House prospered.
In 1821, the Hudson's Bay Company combined with the North west Company. Governor Simpson of the Hudson's Bay Company visited the post in 1825. He decided that because the swift Spokane River was unnavigable, and the furs were being depleted in the local area, requiring long overland treks, the facilities of the company should be moved. Simpson chose a spot on the Upper Columbia near Kettle Falls that could be reached by boat from the sea. He called the spot Fort Colville.

Today the story of Spokane House is told at the Spokane House Interpretive Center.

This Eastern aerial view of the Great Northern Railraod Station displays the RIVER WATER FALLS well.
The Great Northern railroad
came  to Spokane  in 1892.
The railroad yards were
called Hillyard.

The Depot built on Havermale
Island was designed by
James J. Hill and
completed in 1902.

It was made with
pressed brick
and trimmed
 with native
Spokane History
When the Riverfront Park was
constructed for Expo 1974,
the train station was demolished
leaving the CLOCK TOWER.

The four Clock Faces are 9 feet
across on each side,
making it the Largest Clock Tower
in the West.

A similar "Mission Style"
Great Northern train station
was built in EVERETT in 1910.

This building was a burned-out shell of a partially completed three-story warehouse, redesigned and built
into the five-story Hotel Spokane.   spokesman. com/stories

It was an enjoyable ride to Spokane, where we
arrived at 11:30, and put up at Hotel Spokane,
the largest hotel I ever saw. It was a large commercial building,
covering an entire block, revamped into a hotel.
A whole store was diverted into one bedroom,
and nicely furnished, too.
Reporters were in waiting to interview the
distinguished guest. "Mark" is gaining strength
 and is enjoying everything,
so the interviewers had a good time.
By: Major Pond

"We spent all day in Spokane. In the forenoon
"Mark" and I walked about this city with its
asphalt street, electric lights,
and nine-story telegraph poles. 
We visited the site of the Spokane House.
Our carriage driver pointed out beautiful
 residences and told us who occupied them." 

The Spokane House was a small Trading Post at the confluence of the Spokane and Little Spokane Rivers.
It was the first permanent shite settlement in  what is now the state of Washington.

 was really a Fort.

The Auditorium Theater,
located on the corner of Main and Post,
was completed in 1980.

The five-story red brick building became
one of the finest theaters
West of the Mississippi.

Completed in 1890,
the auditorium in Spokane was
the largest theater in America.

Before going to the Auditorium there was an
incidence.  The ladies were dressed in their best
for dinner.  "Mark" didn't see it, he never
comes down for dinner.
Clara Clemens sat down to
the Chickering Grand Piano
and began playing a Chopin nocturne.