BOW was where two railroads were constructed through.
That made it possible, (perhaps) for Mark Twain to travel my train to Watcom.
The Bellingham Bay and British Columbia Railroad was the "FIRST" to reach Whatcom in 1884.
It made the connection to Seattle by way of "SUMAS", then South on the "SLS & ER".
The FAIRHAVEN & SOUTHERN R.R. the "SECOND" to reach Whatcom, from Sedro Woolley, BOW in 1889.
Then in 1890 the Seattle & Montana Railroad, owned by James J. Hill, constructed its railroad South to Seattle.
In 1891 Hill "MURGED" the two railroads into his Great Northern Railroad.
Thinking the line from Sedro Woolley was redundent, he ripped out its tracks to be used elsewhere.
Notice, at one time, there was a set railroad
tracks tying into the Great Northern at.
Belleville. They led to a city named "ALGER".
You can see it spotted on the main map. Notice also the miles and miles of Logging Railroad that spread out from the city.
Russell A. Alger, (2/27/1836 -- 1/24/1907)
Wikipedia A Lawyer, bought timber tracts around LOOKOUT, renamed ALGER, and logged them from the mid-1880s to about 1900. Russell had an impressive resume, including his service as Secretary of War in President William McKinley's first term. He was also 20th Governor and a Repuplican U.S. Senator from the state of Michigan. Alger and Alger County Michigan are also named for him. He was one of the most skilful managers of a large lumbering company that every operated on
the sound. Skagit Jouirnal
Belleville, being a Whistle Stop, had to have platform between the two railroads, so that Loggers could catch the train to
Whatcom or Seattle.
BOW was originally known
as Brownsville, after William J. Brown, who homesteaded the
townsite in 1869. The advent of the railroad resulted in a population boom and the need for a post office.
Apparently inspired by the growth brought by the railroad, Brown suggested the new name of BOW, after the Bow-Tube railway station in
London, England, which in turn was named
for the bow made from a poplar tree.
Although this is the most common belief,
there are some who believe it was named
after homesteader James T. Bow. Wikipedia
On a day trip to visit our friends
on a holiday at a seashore resort
near Blaine, we stopped to see
what Blanchard was like then
We then spotted this wonderful restaurant. We were seated
at a window where saw a train
head north just like the
TWAIN PARTY did before
the restaurant existed.
They would have had
their First look of the sea
at night time.
A BNSF freight train heads
North to Canada
shortly after exiting the
1113 foot long tunnel #18.
This tunnel is located just
South of Bellingham, WA
at Pigeon point.
This scenic area
is rarely visited by railfans.
By May 1889, the Fairhaven & Southern construction teams carved a route southeast out of Fairhaven,
created a tunnel at Pigeon Point
and continued past Blanchard.
At the south end of the tunnel there is piont of land where the Samish
were known to harvest shell fish
that grow there, like Oysters,
Clams, and Mussels.