Leishure Corners, Michigan
History of this Community in Allegan County
ELMHURST HOME 2015, A Johnston Family descendant.
634 64th Street South Haven MI 49090-9379
The house was built by the owner's great-grandfather and has been in the family for over 120 years.
THE 1895 Plat book displays the property was owned by W. W. Johnston.
Records read: William Wilshire Johnston and Mary Overhiser, daughter of George
Overhiser and Elizabeth Storm s-Overhiser, and grand- daughter of Casper Overhiser, were married in Blackford county, Indiana, and after residing in Indiana for some time they moved, in the fall of 1864, to Casco township, Allegan county, Michigan, and settled upon a 160-acre
piece of uncleared land. They were among the early settlers in that locality and cleared and brought under cultivation the farm, which has since been their home, until the father's death July 4, igo6, and which is still the home of Mrs. Mary Johnston, the mother of our subject. Seven children were horn to them. Martha, the first, died at the age of two years. Six are still
living, viz. : John C, in South Haven, Michigan ; Amanda, also in South Haven; Charles M., Adelbert and Theron, all in Casco township, Allegan county, Michigan, and Marion, in Indianapolis, Indiana.