Specifications: Displacement 270 t.; Length 136'; Beam 24' 6"; Draft 8'; Speed 15 kts; Complement 32; Armament one 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount, two 20mm, two dcp; Propulsion two 880bhp General Motors 8-268A diesel engines, Snow and Knobstedt single reduction gear, two shafts. Crewed by four officers and 29 enlisted personnel. (The image above is actually YMS-327, re-numbered from NavSource)
Auxiliary Motor Minesweepers (YMS) were small yard-class minesweepers commissioned by the U.S. Navy for service during World War II. The wood-hulled YMS proved so successful as a type that it eventually became the basis for the Auxiliary Motor Minesweeper class of Navy minesweeper. Many were reclassified (MSC) meaning Minesweeper Costal. YMS-1 was completed 25 March, 1942 in City Island, New York. "Yard" refered to Naval Yard or Naval Base. the YMS was used to to sweep mines laid by enemy submarines. as early as 1942 off the ports of Jacksonville, Florida and Charleston, South Carolina. The first 134 YMS's had two smoke stacks.
YMS 328 was
built by the Ballard Marine Railway in Ballard,
Washington (Seattle) as a Yard Mine Sweeper (YMS) class vessel. She was
classified as a Mark II design.
YMS 328 was delivered on May 26 1943. She served in the
Islands during World War II, sweeping enemy mine fields at Attu and
U.S. mine fields at Kiska, and patrolling out of Adak. She was en route
to Dutch Harbor to be fitted for the invasion of Paramishiru Island in
Japan. Then the bomb dropped, Japan surrendered, and the 328 returned
to Bremerton, Wash. She was struck in 1946.
|AMS/MSC-261 is in a man-made lake at the Pakistan
Navy Museum in Karachi, Pakistan